Did you know that nearly 70 percent of your immune system is housed in your gut? Inside the gut are about 100 trillion live microorganisms that promote normal GI function, protect the body from infection, and regulate metabolism and the mucosal immune system. In fact, they comprise more than 75% of the immune system. Getting your gut bacteria healthy is one of the most important things you can do to get and stay healthy. If your bacteria are sick, so are you! A healthy gut microbiome is key to your overall wellness. So when you heal your gut, you”ll naturally improve your immune system!
Liquid supplements that are taken sublingually allow absorption to begin in the mouth and continue into the digestive system. On top of that, our Turmeric Tonic is made with fresh organic lemon juice which has close to the same Ph level as stomach acid, making it able to be absorbed faster. Because of its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric can contribute to healthy digestion. It’s used in ayurvedic medicine as a digestive healing agent.
According to research published in the journal PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), curcumin, a compound found in turmeric is known to have anti-inflammatory properties that help boost immunity. Turmeric, which is antiviral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial, is also prebiotic that promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in our gut.
“Turmeric is a powerful herb with over 300 nutrients including beta-carotene, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), calcium, flavonoids, fibre, iron, niacin, potassium, zinc among others. But the active compound which has caught the attention of scientists, supplement industries and food technologists is curcumin for its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Absorption of curcumin from turmeric is enhanced by 2000 times by peppering, a compound present in black pepper. Somehow our ancestors seem to have cracked this knowledge as all our recipes have both turmeric and black pepper in combination,” says Nikhil Chaudhary, nutritionist.
Dhivya, Senior Dietician, Fortis Hospital, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore says, “Turmeric in its raw form is packed with several health benefits including immune-modulatory effects. Studies conducted on curcumin and other bioactive components in turmeric reported having beneficial effects in various disease conditions, by modulating the immune system. Raw turmeric is one of the main ingredients in several home remedies used for various health issues. It is considered as a magic elixir to ward off the common cold and seasonal flu. Especially in children, it is associated with a reduction in Recurrent Respiratory Tract Infections. Raw turmeric concoctions/ tea taken daily over a while may help to improve immunity”.
Here are some of the benefits of having raw turmeric:
- It helps facilitate smoother digestion through the tracts.
- Consumption of raw turmeric may also help treat stomach ulcers and irritation.
- It also helps in reducing inflammation in the body.
- All of these factors also lead to a reduction of skin impurities. Traditionally, it is also used in treating skin ailments.
- It purifies the blood, eliminating toxins from it.
- Raw turmeric has been known to regulate blood sugar levels too.
- Inflammation is an important part of the immune system to fight infections and is a short term process. When the inflammation becomes chronic it leads to various health problems including cancers. Turmeric has shown anti-inflammatory properties that could prevent chronic inflammation and therefore such diseases.